Mock Election- Lesson Plan
- Choose something to vote on, like cutest animal or favorite color.
- Print out 3-5 images of objects to vote on. Print or make ballots for your group, with half of the students voting on 2 ballots. Use a box to securely collect the ballots.
- Explain to the students that you are going to learn how the election process works by having a mock or fake election. Tell the students what you will be voting for. Introduce the “candidates” and allow the students to give speeches for or against a candidate.
- Allow half of the class to vote. Let the other students watch, but don’t allow them to vote.
- After half of the students have voted, take the votes out of the box and set them aside. Ask the students if they thought the results of the election were fair, if they felt that their voice was heard. (No, half of them didn’t get to vote!)
- Allow the students to vote again, all of them with a ballot this time.
- Count the votes from both elections. Announce the results, and celebrate!